Sweet Tea (nectar of the South)Posted: November 8, 2011
The best glass of sweet tea is served at a famous diner on West Paces Ferry Rd in Atlanta called Ok Cafe . Everytime I go back to visit friends, I always make time to have lunch there. If you are in Atlanta and are looking for a true taste for southern food, you MUST try this place. It’s cute and kitchy (sp?) and you simply CAN NOT leave until you’ve tried the mac ‘n cheese (it’s divine in an artery clogging way).
Anywho, I always try to make my sweet tea just like the folks at Ok Cafe do, but it never seems to taste the same.
- 2 cups of boiling water
- 5 tea bags (its hard to find Lipton Black Tea in Canada so I use Lipton Orange Pekoe)
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 6 cups cool water
- 1 pinch baking soda
- *Make sure you use a heat-proof large (64oz+) glass pitcher.
- Add the tear bags and a pinch of baking soda into the glass pitcher.
- Pour in 2 cups of boiling water and and let steep for 15 minutes.
- Remove tea bags with a wooden spoon and stir in sugar until dissolved. Pour in cool water and refrigerate at least an 1 hour before serving.
- Squeeze a fresh slice of lemon into glass when serving (optional)